The alternative income form affects a variety of areas unrelated to school meals, including school funding, internet access, college application fees, and SAT fees. It is important to fill out the alternative income form to ensure our schools and families receive the available resources.  
All Nevada Joint Union High School District families are being asked to complete the application or return a form to opt-out of the free/reduced priced meal program:
  • The form is available to complete online. Click here for the English version and here for the Spanish version.
  • You may obtain a hard copy of the form from your school site office or at the Food Services Department, located at 11645 Ridge Road, Grass Valley, CA 95945, at any school cafeteria or school office.
  • The form is also available as a PDF. The form for Bear River, Nevada Union, North Point Academy and Ghidotti can be found here or here for Spanish. The form for Silver Springs can be found here.
More than a form meal application flyer
Spanish Meal Application Flyer
About the Benefits
School Funding
Every student who is under a certain income, learning English, or in foster care generates 20% more funding. In districts where at least 55% of students are high-need, they receive even more funding. The dollars generated by high-need students are spent to increase or improve services for low-income students, English learners and foster youth. Additional funding received from California is also directly tied to the District’s high-need percentage.
SAT and College Application Fees
Any 11th and 12th grade student that is eligible to participate in the free/reduced priced meal program is eligible for SAT fee waivers. Every income-eligible student who takes the SAT using a test fee waiver can choose four colleges from over 2,000 participating colleges and apply for free.
Internet Service
Through a partnership with Comcast, the Internet Essentials Program provides internet for less than $10 a month for qualifying families. The program also provides the opportunity to purchase a laptop or desktop computer for $149 and free classes to assist in learning internet basics. For more information, visit
Similarly, through a partnership with AT&T, families may qualify for Internet for just $10 a month. For more information, visit
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
No, you can fill out one form for multiple children in the same household.
Who will know that our family submitted an application?
Our system is confidential. Even if your child qualifies and chooses to eat lunch in the cafeteria, the breakfast and lunch process is the same as a student who is paying full price.
Do I still need to fill out a form if I qualify for other benefits?
No. If you are currently receiving food stamps, CalWORKS, KinGAP or FDPIR benefits and your information has not changed, your child automatically qualifies.

card header icon
USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nondiscrimination statement for child nutrition program participants.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. 

Program information may be made available in languages other than English.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA's TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice at TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339.  

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant Form which can be obtained online at:,from any USDA office, by calling 866-632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant's name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil right violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by: 

(1)   mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)   fax:833-256-1665 or 202690-7442

(3)  email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.